The Storer Cemetery

17 Jul 2015 4:50 PM | Debi Curry (Administrator)

MOCA Note:  The following article detailing burials at the Storer Cemetery in Dexter was transcribed from an Eastern Gazette newspaper clipping held in MOCA archives. MOCA believes that at least one page of the article - and perhaps two - are missing, thereby accounting for the many additional burials at Storer Cemetery that are not detailed here.  If you are a sleuth - amateur or otherwise - and would like to seek out the missing page(s), we would be most grateful and will gladly add the additional transcriptions to the article posted.

Local History Column: Storer Cemetery in Dexter

Edited by
Mrs. Annie W. Murphy
and
Miss Mary H. Hamilton
Contributors solicited

Eastern Gazette
Aug 23, 1934

THE STORER CEMETERY

The earlier settlers in this township were accustomed to set aside a small plot as a burial ground each on his own land, or in some instances several neighbors would use the same lot.  The Greene cemetery, lying between Maple Street and the old Charleston road was Dexter’s first public burial place.  It was purchased in 1820.  Elmwood cemetery was purchased in 1843.  In 1845 the town voted to purchase land on the north side of the pond for a burying ground and choice was made of a private burial lot on the farm of Briggs Curtis.  For some years this was known as the “Curtis Burying Ground”.  After Amos Storer purchased the Curtis place the cemetery began to be designated by his name and still remains the “Storer Cemetery.” “Waldheim” and the “Waldheim road” had not even been thought of at the time, but every one followed the old road up to the Robert Hamilton house, (now owned by William Frye), past the old schoolhouse and then on up and down a steep hill to the Briggs Curtis house, (not the home of Harry Hutchins.)

The cemetery lies on the south side of this road near the top of the hill and is easily reached from either direction, and the road is very good.

We entered by the eastern gate and came first to the grave of Alfred Curtis marked by a slate stone, the only slate stone we found here.  The inscription reads:

“Alfred Curtis, died March 3, 1839, aged 25 years; ‘To Die is but to live’”

Down at the right hand and near the ground we read: “G. Pullen, Augusta.” G. Pullen evidently made the tombstone.

On the same lot we find a stone in memory of

“Mary, wife of Benjamin Beals, died Feb 13, 1843, aged 39 years.”  Alfred and Mary were the children of Briggs and Lydia Curtis.

The lots are laid out in rows running north and south and the land slopes toward the south, a very pretty place for a cemetery.

Next we came to the Nutter lot where we found stone bearing the names of

“John F. Nutter, June 10, 1842 - Feb 28, 1822.”

“Maria B., his wife, Feb 28, 1851-Dec. 21, 1908.”

“Chester A. Nutter, Nov. 8, 1884, died in Cuba, Mar 27, 1906.”  We followed the second row of graves back up the hill toward the north.

First we came to a stone inscribed:

“Betsy Watson, died March 14, 1874, aged 80 years, 1 month and 9 days.” and

“Eunice Stevens, died Oct. 25, 1865, aged 62 years, 12 days.”

Next was the Reuben W. Lane lot with stones in memory of

“Reuben W. Lane, died March 14, 1868, aged 66 years, 8 months and 4 days.”

“Hester A., wife of Reuben W. Lane, died Sept. 12, 1865, aged 55 years, 3 months and 22 days.”

“Mary, wife of Reuben W. Lane, died Sept. 27, 1853, aged 35 years, 9 months.”

“Melvina, daughter of Reuben and Mary Lane, died Nov. 23, 1848, aged 20 years and 10 months.”

Reuben W. Lane was a son of Captain Matthias Lane, an account of whose family will be found in the Eastern Gazette of July 26, 1934.

In the third row of lots we found stones inscribed to two children of Seth and Diana Drew: “Margaret M., died April 23, 1837, aged 3 years and 6 months.”

“Seth H., died Jan 3, 1842, aged 11 months.”  In this row also we find a stone in memory of

“Thomas Macomber and Lucy Alden, his wife,” with no dates.  Next we find “Samuel A., their son, April 19, 1829 - Oct 16, 1917.” And “Aroline A., wife of Ward Safford died March 2, 1897, aged 74 years.”  She was the daughter of Thomas and Lucy Macomber.

In this third row we find the grave of “Lewis E. Whittemore, born June 9, 1849 and died Aug. 22, 1905,” and on the same lot is a stone in memory of his sister: “Emma J., wife of B.H. Chandler, died Oct. 22, 1881, aged 28 years.”

Down in the south-easterly corner will be found the Chandler lot with a marble monument inscribed with the following:

“Harvey Chandler, Feb. 20, 1808 July 14, 1891.”

“Dorothy Hanson, his wife, July 30, 1823 Oct 18, 1902.”

“Sarah A. B., wife of Harvey Chandler, died Jan. 14, 1853 aged 36 years, 9 months, and 7 days.”

“Gustavus A. Chandler, Regt. Com Sgt. Died in Miss. June 30, 186? Aged 29 years and 6 months.”

“Elizabeth L., died Feb. 8, 1856. Aged 14 years, 2 months.”

“George B. D., died Aug. 4, 1888, aged 48 years, 3 months.”

“Melvin J., son of Harvey and Doratha Chandler, died May 18, 1887, aged 22 years, 4 months.”

A little to the west of the Chandler lot will be found a small stone in memory of Adelbert, son of Rufus and Polly Willard, died Aug. 2, 1863, aged 1 year, 11 months and 11 days.

In the third row is the Pettengill lot with stones inscribed:

“Rufus W. Pettengill, died Nov. 4 1901. Aged 73 years, 11 months, and 23 days.”

“Ruth S., his wife, died July 29, 1895, aged 60 years, 6 months and 21 days.”

“Hattie S., their daughter, died July 17, 1894, aged 23 years, 2 months and 25 days.”

“Henry R., their son, drown June 19, 1868, aged 11 years, 25 days.”

In the fourth row of lots is the grave of Sumner W. Lane, a son of Richard Y. Lane and a grandson of Webster Lane, recently included in the account of the Lane families.

The inscriptions on tombstones in memory of Josiah Hopkins and his wife, Sarah, are very satisfying.  Mr. Hopkins stone is inscribed with a Masonic emblem.

“Josiah Hopkins, born Eastham, Mass., May 4, 1772; died Dexter, Maine, July 7, 1856, aged 84 years.”

“Sarah Rackliff, his wife, born Scarborough, Maine, Feb. 17, 1770; died in Dexter, Me., June 25, 1850, aged 80 years.”

On the Storer lot we find stone in memory of:

“Amos Storer died Nov. 8, 1895, aged 94 years.”

“Lavinia, wife of Amos Storer, died Dec. 19, 1881, aged 74 years.”

“Everett R. Storer, died Aug. 28, 1882, aged 33 years, 1 month and 7 days.”

“Charles P. Storer, Oct. 29, 1836 – m?? 26, 1901.”

“Mrs. N.E. Storer, wife of Frank Storer, died Aug 13, 1878, aged 50 years, 5 months and 7 days.”

“Franklin Storer, died Aug. 28, 1882, aged 51 years, 5 months and 25 days.”

There are two small markers simply inscribed with the names “Mary Etta” and “Flora Ella”.  Frank and Everett Storer were the victims of a drowning accident at ?head Lake**.  Frank spent most of his life in Dexter and was very well known here.  At different times he drove the stage to Dover. And...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~missing section~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the map of Dexter published in 1875 we find the dwelling places of four “J. Lanes” noted with no way to distinguish between John, James, and Jeremiah.

Jeremiah and Aurelia C. Lane had a son, Robert L. Lane, who became a doctor and later lived in Massachusetts, and a daughter, Annette Lane, born October 15, 1853.  She married Reuben A. Taylor.  On the lot with her parents we find memorials to “Reuben A. Taylor, 1844-1927” “Annette Lane, his wife, 1853-1932.”

“Orman L. son of Reuben A. and Annette Taylor, died August 29, 1879, aged 2 years, 3 months and 22 days.”

In our first article on the “Lane Families” date July 12, 1934, we quoted the Rev. Jacob Chapman as saying that “William Lane of Boston may have been connected with Job, James, and Edward Lane, from Yorkshire, England, who settled in Billerica (now Bedford) in Malden and in Gloucester, Mass and in Falmouth (now Portland) Maine.  But the connection is not traced.

The Webster and Matthias Lane families trace their descent from William Lane of Boston.  Mr. Herring writes that the John Lane family presented in this article traces back to the “Job, James, and Edward Lane” mentioned above.

In our visit to the Storer cemetery it was our intention to make a note of each name and date, carefully.  There may be, and probably are, unmarked graves here as is true in all cemeteries.  We have no way of knowing.

[Gravestone image used with permission of Find a Grave photo volunteer,  "TheGhost"]

** Of course, our MOCA transcriber was intrigued by this particular note, and sought out additional information about the deaths of Frank & Everett Storer.  As a result, a full newspaper clipping describing the ordeal of their deaths has been added to their memorials on the Find a Grave web site. You can read more there:

Franklin Storer (1825-1882) Memorial #114680638
E
verett Storer (1849-1882) Memorial #114666273


Dedicated to the Preservation of Maine's Neglected Cemeteries since 1968.
Maine Old Cemetery Association, PO Box 641, Augusta, ME 04332-0641
MOCA is a non-profit Maine corporation and is tax exempt under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

MY MOCA PROFILE ~ MOCA on FACEBOOK ~ CONTACT US

Copyright 2015 Maine Old Cemetery Association
a 501(c)6 non-profit organization. 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software